Thursday, August 9, 2012

Xterra #3 Black Diamond Washington




One thing that we have learned from chasing races all of these months is to be open to change.  We always make a plan of departure, with a general idea of what our time spent away might look like, but more often than not, things come up and our plan requires adjusting.  Being open to change, and frequent check-ins between Trevor and I are necessary to keep the stress level down and to ensure that our trips, however they turn out, are fun for everyone.

This weekend was one of those times where our initial plan was entirely thrown out, and we all just went with the flow.  In doing so,  we were relaxed, free, and had experiences that we otherwise would not have had.

For various reasons, we decided to wait until Saturday to leave, and ended up not leaving Corvallis until about noon.  A very large traffic jam in Seattle resulted in our arrival at the lake to be after 7pm.  Ordinarily, I would pre-ride the bike course and take a swim in the lake, but being that it was so late, I declined Trevors offer to do so, and instead insisted that he get out and ride and come back to tell me all about it.  The kids and I hung out at the lake, ate dinner and attempted to fish a bit.  The boys had fun seeing Toby, the race director's 2 boys that they had met weeks before on Vashon.  Toby and his crew were busily tending to the last few preparations for the race Sunday morning but were so gracious in welcoming us. Lake Sawyer park is not open to camping and this rule was strictly enforced even with the 9am race start. We had planned to stay with Mat up in Sammamish, which was another 45 minutes away, but with it being so late, and knowing that we had to turn back around so early in the morning, we were reluctant to get back in the van.  Not a problem here apparently, because in no time both Toby and Patti were quick to offer space to park our van at their place for the night.  Ahh, what a relief. It was well past 10pm before we arrived at Patti and Bills "campground on the sport court."  There were already quite a few racers there, so we quietly pulled in and went right to sleep.

I slept really well despite the mosquitoes that were buzzing around all night keeping Trevor awake :)  The alarm sounded at 6am and I enjoyed a bowl of Nancy's Yogurt with granola, walnuts and raisins on the sport court.  The others athletes were awake as well, and we all exchanged "good-mornings!" 

We woke the kids, packed up the van and were at the race site by 7.  The parking area was nearly full, but we squeezed in only to get a spot right next to Mat and Rob Jackson from Portland.  It was great to see Taylor Seavey and his parents there as well.  The kids were so excited about their first kids triathlon of the season and were anxious to set up their transition.  Between making their breakfast, us coffee and the chit-chat that comes with the race scene, I again found myself behind schedule with not much time to warm up.  Mat asked if I wanted to bike a bit, but upon seeing me filling water bottles and my transition bag he rescinded the offer.  "You have not even set up transition yet?"  I got myself together pretty quickly, found a great spot in the transition area and took off for a 10 minute warm up ride. By the time I returned the announcer was alerting all athletes to the pre-race meeting.  It was getting really hot, and I was already sticky and dripping with sweat.  Most people were wearing their wetsuits already, but Mat convinces me to go without one.

One last trip to the bathroom before heading down to the lake and I see that Karen DeWolfe is here!  So surprised that she made it, and super excited as I knew that she would love this course.  This girl is one incredible athlete, and today Corvallis would definitely represent! 
The only on wearing a blue swimcap!  Alleck said it was really easy to spot me :)

The swim started out a bit rough and I actually was punched in the goggles.  This hurts just as much as it sounds like it would, but the pain did not last too long.  I remained calm, and just tried to find my own space.  I felt good the entire swim, and was really happy that I did not wear a wetsuit.  The water was so comfortable, and my arms and shoulders felt free.  I swam along side the same group of people the whole time, and although I felt good about this, seeing my swim time at the end has me thinking that I was being too conservative.  I was swimming very calm, and took note of how great it felt......maybe an indication that I could go a bit harder?"  My swim time was 1:15 faster than last year, and I took 45 seconds off of my transition by not having my wetsuit to take off.  Not exactly the results I was looking for, but I'll take it.


I felt great as I got on the bike, and noticed right away that my legs felt strong.  I tried to hammer the road climb as best as I could to get to the trail before all those in front of me.  Still, the first 1/3 of the first lap was REALLY backed up and slow.  The trail was very rocky with tight corners, and once those riders in front of me tired of the rocks the trail opened up and I rode most of the remaining bike leg alone. I was happy that I chose to ride my full suspension, as it made for a much smoother ride.  Although I had a great time, I noticed a few times how mellow I felt, all alone in the silence of the forest.  I had to remind myself that I was racing after all and tried to pick it up a little bit. I came across the river for the second time and was told that I was in 3rd place.  I knew Karen was out there and that there would be no way I could catch her.  I had no idea who the other woman was, but I was comfortable in third.  Next weekend is Portland Xterra and I really want to do well there.  I chose to stay steady, calm and just maintain my position.  No one was telling me that anyone was close, so I assumed that I was pretty far behind.  I stayed hydrated with Hammer Heed in my Veleau hydration system and managed to eat my entire flask of Hammer gel which helped me with the 90 degree heat. 

Trevor gives Alleck a pep talk
That's Keller!  What great form :)
He's ready to kick hard!
Alleck finishes with a smile!
Keller totally rocked it!
I came into the transition to my kids cheering loudly.  They were all smiles as we exchanged words on how the kids race went.  They held the kids race during the my event,  which was a bummer to miss it.  Luckily Trevor captured the excitement with photos and video, and I heard blow by blow from each of the boys on the ride home.  They absolutely loved it!

I headed out of transition and my legs felt awesome!  The more I do these triathlons the less my legs argue with me about running after a bike ride.  It seemed like I was running faster than I wanted too, but it felt so good I just continued on.  Along with me came a 16year old named Ethan that would run with me for most of this leg.  We both agreed that it was way more fun to be with someone so we stuck together.... that was until I spotted Jo Markham making her way around second lap.  I  was happy to see her and yelled a "hello!"  She was having a difficult run and says to me that I will probably catch her.  It took Ethan and I about 5 minutes to make it around the upper loop and as we came through the lap point I said to him, "lets see how close we can get to Jo." At this point there was a carrot for me to chase and this brought an element of fun to the race that before had been lacking.  I really  did not see too many women out there on the course.  My legs continued to feel good, and I made sure to stay cool by dumping a cup of water over my head at every aid station.  This is a little trick I learned from my friend John Klish and it really works!  I never felt too hot or dehydrated.  After coming down the lower loop and onto the road I spot Jo up ahead.  Although I lost Ethan in my quest, I did find Jo!  I had a silent celebration with myself and figured I would just come upon her quietly.  Just then she turns around and sees me.  She stopped at the aid station to drink and I give her a holler.  "c'mon Jo, lets go!"  I headed up the last loop with a little more pep in my step and finished strong in 2nd place.

Raising the Bar really puts on a top notch event, with a vendor area that offered plenty of post race food and drink and lots of friendly people.  The location was ideal in offering shade for the athletes to gather.  We hung out for most of the afternoon swimming, fishing and recapping our day while Matt Betts and Trevor went out and enjoyed the trails.  They arrived back with all smiles and one flat tire! 
The ride home was filled with laughs and reggae music.  We were eager to get home so we drove straight through, stopping to pick up a pizza once we arrived in Corvallis.  We all gathered on the couch to watch the Olympics and enjoy our 10 o'clock dinner.


Keller races with fire. 

We head to Portland tomorrow for the 4th regional Xterra event, and then look forward to a few weeks off.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment