Monday, May 7, 2012

Coast Hills Classic XC Race

We arrived Newport on Saturday afternoon in time to get a look at the course and to spend some time on the beach.  The weather was perfect with clear and calm skies.  We set up our camp at South beach Campground and I pre-rode the course with Mike Ripley.  With tired legs, I rode slowly and enjoyed the views of the Bay and the Ocean and took in the fresh ocean air.

The Coast Hill's classic was revived this weekend after taking a 10 year or so break from the Oregon Mtn Bike series.  Trevor raced this course back in the 90's,  and was excited to see it come back.  He hung on the beach with the boys while I rode the course.  We met back at camp for dinner and a nice game of soccer in the field by our camp.  We ran down to the beach just in time to catch the sunset and enjoyed hanging out watching the rise of the super moon!
We hung out in this very well made bunker and enjoyed the sunset
There is something about the ocean that makes little boys incredibly happy



We welcomed the morning at 7, and packed up and drove to the race site which was only a half mile away. We prepared our breakfast and coffee on the sidewalk alongside other car loads of eager racers.  I love this kind of scene!   The sun was bright, but there was a definite chill in the air.  The energy was awesome, as the Newport locals were so welcoming and excited to host this event.

The race started at 10, which seemed a bit early.  It was a rush to eat breakfast and clean up in time to prepare to race.  Of course, we were late again and probably got maybe a 10 minute warm up, on a full belly.  Not good.
Mat Signoretty lined up in the middle of the pro's who all took note of the new blood in town!
It was fun to have him come all the way down from Samamish, Washington to participate in this race!

The start of the race went up a gravel climb to the first trail, and was very short.  We all knew that we needed to start fast to get a good position on the trail.  I settled in behind Karen and Jill who I know are great technical riders and followed them down the first trail.  I was hurting from the beginning.  My legs were tired and my breathing erratic.  I learned here that I MUST eat at least 3 hours before a race.  I felt my breakfast climb out of my stomach and into my throat, and wanted badly to let go of it.  Not until I began the 2nd lap did I start to feel somewhat normal.  My breakfast seemed to have digested a bit and I no longer had that throw-uppy feeling.  BUT, I was tired.  This course was only 20 miles, so it was fast and there really was not time to relax.  I ran scared the entire time feeling like the other girls were right behind me. 

It was a fast and furious race.  I finished 3rd overall, and could not have been happier to be done.  My legs were toast, but I was happy that I was able to push through.
Such a fancy trophy!

Thanks to some incredible donors, I left with a little bit of money, some new riding glasses and a very cool trophy.

Trevor finished a strong 10th overall, although he is dealing with shoulder pain that gave him grief the whole race.  He's one tough cookie though, slinging rocks all week at work, then still has the energy to ride his bike.
Trevor flashing his toothy grin

The best part of the day of course was the kids race.  Both the boys were all smiles, as they looped around the course to the ring of cowbells and the encouragement of family and friends.

Alleck is on a mission, bearing his race face
Keller was so cute in his Team Dirt kit.  All smiles the whole race.  He's joyful
We left Newport feeling good. We were able to spend time with old friends, made some new ones and acquired quite a bit of swag.  Thanks to the organizers who put on a great event.  We'll be quick to come back next year!
Bellies full of pizza, we soaked in the sun and won some pretty cool raffle prizes!
The end of a very good day!

Next week, we are off to Bend for the Cascade Chainbreaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment