Thursday, May 31, 2012

A rocky road through the Sisters Stampede

I realize that we have been going hard for quite some time now.  Six weeks straight to be exact.  All in all things have gone very smoothly, with only minor glitches in our system.  Both Trevor and I have been racing strong, we have all been healthy, our travel has gone smoothly and I recall saying after last weeks race that we were feeling more energized than ever with this schedule.   Well, this week was just a bit different, and here is why............

1.   Unexpected happenings throughout the week delayed my trip prep which led to some forgotten items............. rain jackets.  It rained, and HARD :)  and each boy had just 1 pair of socks each for the entire weekend!

2.  Two years ago at this race in Sisters, I crashed and broke my collar bone.  My body remembers, and was dealing with some anxiety, maybe some pent up emotional trauma stuff all week. Who knows, but I was feeling OFF.

3.  Both Trevor and I woke on Saturday with what seemed to be a bit of a cold.  Headache and a heavy chest.

4.  I could not find, and thus did not have my pair of lucky socks.  The socks that I have worn for every race this season.  And so, my pre-race "ju-ju" was compromised. 

5.  I forgot to take my pre-race Hammer Gel.  Tropical with 25mg of caffeine has worked very well for me all year, but today I just forgot!

ok.  so the race goes like this..............

It started off bad.  Then I caught up.  Then it got bad.  Then I caught up.  Then it got bad again.  Then I caught back up.  Then I pushed it so hard that I came in first in my category, but also made myself sick.  I really got a cold, and that felt pretty bad. Good sleep, lots of echinachea, fresh vegetables and fruit and today I am now feeling pretty good.
That's me in Orange.   WAY in the back.  I had to play catch up from the very beginning.

Although this race was a bit "rocky", I come away from it having learned something and really, that is what this is all about. 

I pushed my body, even though it was weak.  And my body responded well.  I told it to go harder, and it could.  But what I could not do, was shut off my mind.  And this is what took me off of that trail.

The Sisters trails are different than what we ride here in the Valley.  They are dry and fast, and have plenty of rocks to challenge your handling skills.  The rocks are what got me two years ago when I broke my collar bone.  They snuck up on me and before I knew it, I was thrown to the ground and my season was over.  I do not train on rocks and really, am not comfortable on them.  I had myself a silent celebration during the race when I passed the place that took me down two years ago. Ha!  I got past you this time :) 

Unfortunately, the lesson I thought I learned two years ago crept back into my race this year.  The thing about Mountain biking, and especially on a technical trail during a race is that you CANNOT take your mind off of the trail for a second.  You MUST be present with what you are doing at that very moment, and until you cross that finish line.

I let my insecurity get in the way of my ability to ride my bike, and it almost cost me the race. 

I got myself in front of a women in my category who is much stronger than I on the technical trails  and worried that I was holding her up.  Also with us was Greg Creswick from Team Dirt who also is a very competent technical rider.  I was stressing.  I was also riding fast, and distracted about having them behind me.  Although they both said that things were ok, and they did not want to pass me, I did not relax and ride my bike.  Before I knew it, I came around a corner and into a rock garden and obviously took the wrong line.  I swear I saw my back wheel come up near my head, and I was was sure I'd hit a tree.  All of the sudden my wheel dropped and I rolled to the side of the trail.  After a very loud shriek of relief and a quick apology to Greg and Alice, I got myself together.  Man I love my bike.  It must be those big wheels that got me out of that one!

At that point it was a sprint to the finish and I was able to muster the strength to pass her again and maintain the lead.  I find out after the race, this girl is on a single speed!  She has reason to "peace out" the crowd from the podium.  This girl is in a different league.

I came across the finish line exhausted, but fortunate to be in one piece.  I gave it all I had out there.

Looking back.  I should have shut my thoughts off, and ridden my bike.  I was there for a reason, and all I had to do was hold my place.  And if I find myself in that position again, where I worry about who is behind me?  Pull over, and let them by.  I chase just fine.

At the finish,  Trevor was beaming after finishing 2nd place!  This guy is such a stud.  I mean  seriously, he works 40 plus hour weeks digging holes, loading/ dumping wheelbarrows, and stacking heavy rocks, but can still come out on his weekend and throw down a race against some of the fastest men in the state.  It is truly impressive.

My friend Gaby generously drove to Sisters race morning to hang with the kids during the race.  She had fun watching them navigate the obstacle course, and treating them to fruit smoothies with whipped cream!  Gaby has been a constant source of support for our family, always quick to lend a hand and  I am forever grateful for all she does for us. 

The kids race again trumped the day.  It brings so much joy to see my kids challenging themselves, and getting that sense of accomplishment.  Written all over their faces was this sense of bliss and excitement and our hearts on fire just to witness it.  We ran around that dusty field cheering loudly and they peddled their little legs just as fast as they could.  It was awesome!

Big huge THANK YOU to the organizers and Sponsors of the Sister's Stampede.  The entire event was so well put together, and after just 3 years running more than 500 racers registered!

Alleck will read to anyone who will listen.  Luckily, Marcus was there for him!
We spent the afternoon resting with friends in the Sister's campground and enjoyed a group dinner at the Blue Agave Mexican Restaurant in Sisters.

The next day both Trevor and I were feeling pretty sick.  We mustered the strength to get back on our bikes with the kids at the Phil's Trail head Pump Track.  WOW!  This place was amazing!  Keller loved catching air on the big jumps and Alleck rode the entire slalom course!  I was blown away with the number of people there that day.  So many kids riding their bikes and so many parents doing it with them.   Our day ended with skinned knees, and a few tears but again, some incredible moments on our bikes.

The focus of this week has been to rest and get healthy for this weekends race near Grants Pass.  Many loads of laundry later, and I have already packed our bags!  Out of the dryer, and right into the duffel's.  This time with plenty of socks!















 



2 comments:

  1. Bravo on the race! Good luck this weekend, may you be healthy and energetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Sorry I missed saying hi at the race. Carolyn and I headed home a little early. I'm glad I'm not alone thinking about head space in this race. The rocks really do work on you if you don't ride them often.
    Good luck at Jedi!

    ReplyDelete